With approximately 1,500 licensed dogs in the Town of Wolcott, a safe area to exercise and socialize these dogs was needed. The Town recently built a spacious dog park next to Peterson Park.
- Can my dog run around off leash?
Yes. Once inside the gated/fenced area, you can take your dog off of its leash and allow it to run freely.
- Where is the dog park located?
The dog park is located at 127 Mad River Rd., Wolcott, CT
- What hours of the day is the dog park open?
The dog park is open from sunrise to sunset.
- Can I bring my puppy to the dog park?
Puppies under 4 months of age should not be brought to the dog park. At this young age, they have not received all of their vaccinations. They should be kept away from the dog park for their own protection and that of other dogs.
- Can I bring my young children to the dog park?
We strongly recommend you do not bring young children to the dog park. Young children, especially running children, may be regarded as prey animals by strange dogs. Dogs may also feel the urge to protect children they know. This tends to cause aggressive behavior.
- Am I limited to the number of dogs I can bring to the dog park during one visit?
You must be able to have all your dogs within sight and under voice control, therefore we recommend not bringing more than 3 dogs per adult. It could become unmanageable if you have more than 3 dogs.
- Are female dogs in heat allowed in the dog park?
Female dogs in heat can cause aggression in male dogs. Also, females in heat should be kept at home in order to prevent unwanted puppies.
- Can I bring food and drink into the dog park?
No. Food and drink are not allowed in the dog park as it can prompt aggressive behavior between dogs
- Must my dog be licensed and vaccinated to enjoy the dog park?
Yes, all dogs must be licensed and properly vaccinated. If your dog is not licensed and you are a Wolcott resident, you can contact the Town Clerk's Office. All dog's licenses renew each year in the month of June. For the safety of your pet, to be in compliance with Connecticut State Law, and to avoid late fees and fines, we encourage you to license your dog(s) within the month of June.
For your convenience, you may mail in your request to renew your Dog License(s). All mail-in requests will be processed and the tags will be mailed back to you in the self-addressed stamped envelope that you provide after June 1st. You will need to provide the following:
Self-addressed stamped envelope
Wolcott Dog License Application for each dog
Dog License Fees (Sec. 22-338 through 22-352):
- Neutered Male, Spayed Female $8
- Male, Female $19
- Late licensing penalty (per month) $1
- Transfer of Ownership (if already issued) $1
- Lost Tag $.50