Are discount programs available for veterans, elderly or totally disabled taxpayers?

Yes, there are discount programs available for veterans, the elderly, and the totally disabled. Please contact the Assessor's Office at 203-879-8100

Property Tax Credits for the Elderly and Disabled

Property tax credits from $150 up to $1,250 of total tax are available for qualifying applicants.

The credit level is based on a graduated income scale. Applicant eligibility is based on the following criteria:

A property owner is at least 65 years old as of December 31 preceding the filing period OR is at least 50 and the widow/widower of a previously approved applicant OR is totally disabled and has a Social Security Award Letter or an SSA-1099 with Medicare premiums, or proof of benefits under a program which contains requirements comparable to those of the Social Security Administration.

Property must have been owned or held in "life use" by the applicant as of October 1 of the year prior to the application period and at the time of application.

The property must be the primary residence of the homeowner. (6 months and one day rule)

Income limits are determined annually by the State of Connecticut. "Income" is defined as income from all sources, including tax-exempt interest and Social Security. For the 2023 application period, 2022 income from all sources is considered.  The income limits for 2022 are $49,100 for married applicants and $40,300 for single applicants.  The income limits are adjusted annually.

Applications must be filed with the Wolcott Assessor's Office between February 1 and May 15. Applicants must bring original copies of their federal income tax (if filed) and their SSA-1099. If taxes are not filed, statements of all income sources (pensions, interest income, etc.) must be provided. To continue receiving the benefit after the initial application, re-filing is required every 2nd year as long as your income remains within program limits.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Mill Rate?
2. What is Wolcott’s current mill rate?
3. How is the tax amount determined?
4. When are the tax bills mailed?
5. Will I get a tax bill in January for the 2nd half of the real estate taxes?
6. What forms of payment are acceptable?
7. Who are payments made payable to?
8. Can I mail in my tax payment?
9. Does the tax office accept the postmark on mailed payments as the received date?
10. How do I obtain a receipt if I mail in my tax payment?
11. Can I get copies of paid tax bills when I am ready to file my Federal and State Income Tax?
12. Can I combine my motor vehicle, personal property and real estate taxes on one check?
13. Can I combine my taxes and sewer or water payments on one check?
14. What happens if I get a tax bill for a vehicle that I no longer own?
15. What happens if I get a tax bill for real estate that I no longer own?
16. What is a Supplemental Motor Vehicle Tax Bill?
17. If there are two taxpayer names on one motor vehicle tax bill, are both taxpayers required to have all their taxes paid in order to receive a release from DMV?
18. What if the check I used to pay my taxes is returned to the bank for insufficient funds (ISF)?
19. I just bought property in Wolcott, why didn’t I receive a tax bill?
20. I just paid off my mortgage. How do I make sure that the tax bill gets mailed to me and not the mortgage company?
21. Are discount programs available for veterans, elderly or totally disabled taxpayers?
22. What happens if I don’t receive a tax bill in July for my vehicle? **
23. What happens if I don’t receive a tax bill for my real estate?**
24. What happens if I don’t receive a tax bill for my business? **